Time to get the bamboo steamer out because we have a delicious recipe for steamed pork and prawn balls rolled in our organic long-grain red rice. It makes an excellent entrée when paired with the daikon & carrot salad or on its own as finger food at your next function!
Serves: 2-4 | Prep Time: 10 mins (Soaking 12-24 hours) | Cook Time: 25 mins
FOR MEAT BALLS
- 200g Organic Red Rice
- 1 Litre of water
- 200g pork mince
- 200g green prawn meat
- 50g water chestnuts
- 50g bamboo shoots
- 30ml soy sauce
- 10ml sesame oil
- Half bunch chives
- Quarter bunch mint
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100g Daikon julienne cut
- 100g Carrot julienne cut
- 50ml Black chinese vinegar
- 30g Sugar
- Soak the rice in the water for 12-24 hours prior to making the meat balls.
- Finely chop the herbs and garlic add to the pork mince in a bowl.
- Roughly chop the prawns, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots into small pieces add to the pork mix.
- Add the soy and sesame oil to the pork and prawn mix and mix well with your hands till sticky and bound together.
- Using your hand carefully roll into 40g balls then roll the meat balls in the drained soaked rice. The rice should stick to the meat balls on the outside like a crumb.
- Place the crumbed meatballs into a lined bamboo steamer and steam on high for 25 minutes. Check the water level on the steamer to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- While the crumbed meatballs are steaming Using a mandolin cutter julienne (match stick cut) the daikon and carrot, rinse after cutting.
- Dissolve the sugar into the vinegar and dress the cut vegetables in it.
- Place together on a plate and serve!
Credit: Chef - Laura Neville, Photographer - Bianca Milani