Time to dig out the deep fryer, because we are re-creating the classic fried chicken, but with a recipe that is gluten free! Our Crispy Spiced Fried Chicken is rolled in Brown Rice Flakes, desiccated coconut and spices to give a sweet yet smoky flavour. Utilising rice flakes holds the crunch when cooked and doesn’t goes soggy! An excellent addition to your BBQ's or the perfect indulgent at-home movie snack.
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
- 500g Chicken Ribs
- 50ml Lime Juice
- 50ml Water
- 10g Salt
- 10g Smoked Paprika
- 10g Cumin Powder
- 10g Coriander Powder
- 5g Black Pepper, finely ground
- 50g Cornflour
- 50g Rice Flour
Brown Rice Flake Crumb:
- 500g Forbidden® Organic Gluten Free Brown Rice Flakes
- 100g Desiccated Coconut
- 1Litre Vegetable Oil, for frying
- Mix water, lime juice and salt in medium size bowl, until salt is dissolved.
- Marinate the chicken in the juice mix let sit for 15 mins.
- Whisk together remaining dry ingredients (except the crumb ingredients) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add chicken to dry ingredients and mix together to cover chicken with sticky paste.
- Place rice flakes and coconut on a baking tray. With a rolling pin, roll to crush rice flakes until a chunky crumb.
- Roll the sticky chicken in the rice flake mix and set aside on a paper lined plate.
- Heat vegetable oil to 170 degrees in a shallow sided pot to ensure chicken will be submerged.
- One at a time, carefully place chicken into hot oil using tongs, until base of pot is covered. Make sure not to overcrowd the pot.
- Cook for 3 minutes or till golden and cooked through. You can check your chicken by removing a piece and cutting it open to check its white. Cooked chicken will pull apart easily.
- Remove from the oil and place into a bowl lined with kitchen paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat the process till all the chicken is cooked
Place fried chicken onto a platter with a bowl of dipping sauce, aioli or mayonnaise. Serve hot with crispy lettuce, pickles and cucumber slices.