We've got an exciting and easy canapé recipe that uses our delicious black rice to create rice ball fritters that has a soft bocconcini ball in the centre. They are a perfect accompaniment to your favourite sauces. Today we’ve used the sauces from our friends at Zambrero Mexican Restaurant. Their series of take-home sauces includes their infamous Chipotle, Verde and Sweet Chilli, all a must try!
Serves: 4-6 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins
- 250g of Forbidden Organic Black Rice
- 1 litre water
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves chopped
- 100g grated grana padano cheese
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 200g frozen peas
- 3 whole eggs (2 eggs for crumbing stage)
- 50g panko bread crumbs
- 20-25 Mini bocconcini balls
- Oil for deep frying
- Plain flour and panko crumbs for crumbing
- Salt and pepper
- Boil water in a kettle, adding 1 litre to a deep non stick pan with the chopped thyme leaves. Add black rice to the water and cook on a high heat until the rice is soft and the water has completely evaporated for 20-25 minutes.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, sauté the onion and garlic in a frying pan with some olive oil. Add your peas and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes just to heat the peas through. Set aside.
- Once the rice is cooked and the water has evaporated, continue cooking for 1-2 to ensure it is nice and dry. Place in a large bowl to cool briefly.
- Mix the grated grana padano into the rice whilst warm, so that it melts and combines together well.
- Add the pea mix to the rice along with 1 egg and 50 grams of panko crumbs. Mix well and season with a pinch of salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- To form your rice balls, simply grab a small handful of the mixture and press into a ball shape. Make a crater with your finger in the middle and place the mini bocconcini inside. Shape the rice around the bocconcini ball enclosing it completely. Form all the balls first before crumbing them.
- Beat the remaining 2 eggs in a small bowl. Dip the finished balls into the prepared flour, beaten eggs and then bread crumbs placing them on a clean plate ready for frying.
- Heat your oil to 160c in a deep pot and fry in batches of 5-6 rice balls at a time until golden brown. About 3 minutes. Place on paper towel to soak up excess oil and continue the process until all are cooked.
Serve with your preferred sauce, in this case we have gone with Zambrero’s new Chipotle, Verde and Red Chilli Sauces which can be purchased from their Mexican Restaurant Stores nationally!
Credit: Chef - Sascha Portmann, Photography - Bianca Milani,