Seafood lover? Why not try our fragrant Mussel Soup as a winter warmer, featuring Forbidden® Organic Gluten Free Brown Rice Flakes.
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
- 1kg Mussels, cleaned
- 6 Saffron strands (optional)
- 1 cup White Wine (or Apple Cider or Stock)
- 100g butter, in 2 x 50g portions
- 50g Olive Oil
- 1 large Red Onion, finely diced
- 4 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1lt Water
- 150g Forbidden® Organic Gluten Free Brown Rice Flakes
- 200g Cherry Tomatoes, cut into halves
- ½ bunch Coriander
- ½ bunch Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- Place the saffron in a 30ml hot water to bloom, set aside.
- Place a heavy based, deep pot with a lid over a high heat.
- Add the mussels, 1 cup of white wine/cider/stock and 50g butter. Stir and cover with lid.
- Cook for 1 minute or until the shells have opened. (Some shells may need a little help with a butter knife if they are slightly open. Discard any mussels that remain closed.)
- Remove mussels from the pan and place into a colander set over a bowl, to cool and drain and set liquid and mussels aside for future use.
- Remove the mussels from their shells and place in a bowl covered with foil to keep warm. Keep some shells for presentation when serving.
- Place pan back onto medium heat and add 50g butter, 50g olive oil, onion and garlic. Bring to a gentle heat and sweat until onion is translucent. Do not brown the onion.
- Add 1lt of water to the onion garlic mix, along with the strained mussel liquid and saffron liquid.
- Bring stock to boil then reduce to simmer and add brown rice flakes.
- Stir the flakes and continue stirring for 5 minutes or until Rice Flakes are softened and creamy looking in texture.
Distribute mussels into bowls and pour broth over. Place mussel shells on top for presentation, then scatter cherry tomatoes, spring onions and coriander for freshness and crunch.