Chicken, bacon and black rice - an insanely delicious combination when mixed into your favourite salad! It’s a refreshing salad for the hot Australia’s summer.
Serves: 4 | Preparation: 15 mins | Cooking: 15 mins
- 1 cup Forbidden Black Rice
- 80mls (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Rash of bacon, sliced
- Gourmet mixed salad leaves
- 1 Red Capsicum, sliced
- 1 Green Capsicum, sliced
- 1 Purple onion, sliced
- 1 Celery, sliced diagonally
- 1 Cucumber, sliced lengthways
- 2 Tomato, quartered
- 1/4 Cup of dried fruit & nuts
- Worcestershire Sauce (Add to taste)
- Balsamic Vinegar (Add to taste)
- Garlic salt (Add to taste)
- Italian herbs (Add to taste)
- Cook the rice as directed on pack.
- In a large non-stick pan, sauté the red onion in a light drizzle of oil then add chicken.
- Once chicken has browned, add thickly sliced leg ham off the bone, fruit and nuts, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and Italian herbs. Once cooked, leave in pan to cool to room temperature.
- On a separate pan, add a light drizzle of oil, cut up a crusty loaf of bread into 2cm sized cubes and put in fry pan until lightly brown. Take off heat.
- For the salad add spinach leaves, red and green capsicum, celery, cucumber and tomatoes.
- Turn through the black rice, bread and add chicken, bacon and nuts in a large bowl and serve.
- For best result let final black rice salad chill in fridge before serving.
Credit: Thank you to Marie from Sunraysia, Victoria for this fantastic recipe.