Forbidden Foods in house culinary guru, Benjamin Conroy has prepared a maple flavoured Forbidden black & red rice with coconut chia gel.
"This recipe was inspired by the superfoods movement which is sweeping through the culinary scene at the moment. Forbidden black & red rice was a natural choice as it is certified organic and a perfect way to start the day served with the coconut chia and toasted macadamias. This dish is dairy free, gluten free vegan. I find the best way to make these for busy lifestyles that everyone leads these days is to soak the chia in several jars in the fridge at a time. Then it’s as simple as pulling a jar out throwing some fruit on the top and eating it on the run or putting the lid on and having it as a mid-morning snack." - Benjamin Conroy, Forbidden Foods Chef
Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 15m | Cook Time: 20m
- 1/2 cup of Forbidden Black Rice and Red Rice
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- 1 can of light coconut milk
- 100mls pure Canadian maple syrup
- 1 Mango, seed and skin removed then diced
- Selection of different seasonal berries or passionfruit
- 10 toasted macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup of granola
- Bee Pollen - optional
- Place the chia seeds and coconut milk into a jar with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine and leave overnight in fridge to set.
- When the rice is still warm mix two different types together in a mixing bowl and coat in maple syrup. Set aside until needed.
- To serve, spoon the chia gel in the middle of each plate and scatter the maple Forbidden rice round the perimeter. Scatter seasonal berries, mango, roughly chopped macadamia nuts and granola over the top and finish with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Credit: Chef - Benjamin Conroy, Photography - Bianca Milani.