A kindly shared recipe from Alice at thewholedaily.com.au. After getting inspiration from an eatery in Carlton, The Whole Daily created this Sticky Black Rice Bircher Pudding. The rich earthy flavour of the black rice with light, fresh, tropical flavours plus a garnish of edible flowers in season makes this one magical dish for dessert.
Serves: 2 | Preparation time: 20 mins | Cook time: 25 mins
- 1 cup of black rice
- 1 1/2 cups (or one whole can) of full-fat coconut milk
- Around 2 cups of water (or one cup for soaked rice)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice (or cinnamon, or nutmeg – ground)
- 1 tbs maple syrup or 2 of rice malt syrup (you can substitute good raw honey into this also)
- Fresh paw paw chunks, or fruit of your choice
- Topping – toast some shredded coconut and slivered almonds in a small saucepan and mix with diced pistachios (or you can experiment with toppings of your choice)
- Edible flowers if you have some
- Drain the rice if you’ve had it soaking and add to a medium saucepan over low to medium heat with the can of coconut milk, mixed spice and maple syrup.
- Bring to the simmer and stir until the coconut milk is nearly all absorbed, then slowly add the water in half cups at a time and continue stirring every five minutes at a simmer until nearly all absorbed. Continue in this way until the rice is cooked through (black rice will still have a bit of bite in it when cooked as the outer shell is tougher. It does not go gluggy as easily as white rice).
- Add a pinch of sea salt and stir.
- Spoon into bowls and top with fresh paw paw, toasted coconut and almonds, pistachios and edible flowers.
Images and recipe courtesy of "The Whole Daily" Blog