We love a good surprise! Upon our 'regular' scan on instagram we spotted this impressive recipe by @_everythinginmoderation. It's a Moroccan chicken with stuffed roasted capsicum. The capsicum is stuffed with our lovely black rice, vegetables, pine nuts and pomegranate. Finally it's served with minted yogurt! Now Brittany from @_everythinginmoderation has been kind enough to share this recipe with us and oh boy it's a beauty!
Serves: 4 | Hands-On Time: 25mins | Cooking Time: 40mins
(all equal portions)
- black pepper
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- sweep paprika
Stuffed Roasted Capsicums
- 4 red capsicums
- 1 cup of Forbidden Black Rice
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 punnet mini roma tomatoes
- 1 bag of spinach
- 4 spring onions
- 50 grams pinenuts
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1 table spoon Moroccan seasoning *see above
- 1 1/2 cups greek yogurt
- 2 table spoons olive oil - 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- 5 sprigs of mint (be generous with the herbs)
- 3 sprigs of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
(garnish with spring onions)
- 600 grams chicken thighs
- 2 table spoons olive oil
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- 1 small shallot
- 1 1/2 table spoon Moroccan seasoning
- Combine all spices to create the Moroccan seasoning to use in the next steps.
- Cook the black rice (instructions on the packet).
- Cut up the chicken thighs into even pieces and marinate in olive oil, lemon, finely diced shallot, chopped mint and parsley and Moroccan seasoning. Store in the fridge until ready to cook.
- Cut the top off the capsicums and hollow out, brush the 4 capsicums with olive oil and roast on 180c for 30 mins or until fully cooked through (check them regularly, you don't want to over cook them to mush, they still need shape to stuff them).
- Dice zucchini, halve tomatoes, chop spring onions and sauté in a pan with olive oil and Moroccan seasoning. Wilt spinach when veggies are almost cooked.
- Toast pine-nuts in a pan for a couple of minutes (be careful they burn easily).
- Remove pomegranate seeds by halving it and bashing the seeds out with a wooden spoon (just like Jamie Oliver).
- Combine cooked rice, vegetables, pine-nuts, pomegranate and mix well.
- Prepare yogurt by combining greek yogurt, chopped mint and parsley, lemon, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Stuff the capsicums with the rice mixture and put back in the oven at 100c to keep warm until ready to serve.
- BBQ or pan fry the chicken.
- Plate up one capsicum per plate, a few of pieces of chicken and a small ramekin of minted yogurt.
Credits: recipe & photo by Brittany M