Serves: 4 | Hands-On Time: 15mins | Cooking Time: Approx. 2 hours
Ingredients- 4 cups water
- 1¼ cups red rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 425ml coconut milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean (split)
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 100g pistachios chopped roughly
- 125g maraschino cherries
- 50g dried coconut flakes
- In a medium saucepan combine water and Forbidden Red Rice and bring to the boil. Add salt, cover and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally over moderately low heat for 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk and simmer until the liquid becomes very thick, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the thickened cream and vanilla bean and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 minutes, remove from the heat, cover with lid and let steep for 20 minutes. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the cream; discard the bean.
- Stir the sugar into the cream until dissolved. Stir the cream into the rice and let stand covered, for 30 minutes.
- Cool rice completely and layer into glass with pistachio and maraschino cherries.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries and coconut flakes.
Credits: Chef - Melissa Rajic | Styling - Sarah Egan | Photographer - An Architect Photographed My Undies