Red Rice Sausage Rolls With Mango Chutney & Salad Leaves
Sausage rolls make a great lunch meals or as a finger food at parties. Add mango chutney for a deliscious flavour and salad leaves when serving for lunch.
Serves: 2-4 | Hands-On Time: 15mins | Cooking Time: 30mins
- 1/2 cup Forbidden Red Rice
- 2 eggs
- 400g lamb mince
- 1 teaspoons garam masala (Indian spice mix)
- 1/2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed, halved
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)
- Mango chutney and salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cook Forbidden Red Rice according to the packet instructions, then drain and refresh under cold water. Set aside.
- Lightly beat 1 egg in a bowl, then add lamb, spices, onion, ginger and cooled rice. Season and combine well.
- Lightly beat 1 remaining egg in a separate bowl.
- Divide the lamb mixture among pastry sheets, forming a log along one short side.
- Brush the far edge of the pastry with beaten egg, then roll up to enclose.
- Place rolls, seam-side down, on the tray then brush with egg and scatter with poppy seeds, if using.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry is golden and cooked through.
- Serve with mango chutney and salad.
Note: If you are a vegetarian you can swap out the lamb mince for finely diced vegetables.
Credits: Chef - Melissa Rajic | Styling - Sarah Egan | Photographer - An Architect Photographed My Undies / Timothy Treasure